🎉 Two Years Clean & A Canning Victory
Rhubarb BBQ Sauce – Success, Sealed Jars & A New Chapter
📌 In This Article
🎉 The Celebration Story
"Guys, I did it! Yesterday was my two years of being clean so I tried to do all the things I loved. I worked on a puzzle, watered my garden, played with my puppy, spoiled the kids and chickens with treats, and I did some canning. I had a ton of rhubarb in the freezer and I had been waiting to do a big batch of bbq with it but was admittedly a little scared of messing it all up. Well I went for it and all jars sealed, no siphoning, and no breaking! I waited until morning to make sure they were indeed sealed (I’m still a newbie), but I am just STOKED! Now to get the courage up to use the pressure canner 😅 I share this to just say thank you to the whole Rebel Community. I really am starting to live my best life and you guys have all been so helpful and inspiring🤘🏽"
This is the kind of post that makes the internet a beautiful place. A story of recovery, resilience, and rhubarb – all wrapped up in a celebration of two years of being clean. Every jar that sealed was a victory. Every "ping" was a reminder that new beginnings are possible.
💬 The power of community: "I really am starting to live my best life and you guys have all been so helpful and inspiring." This is what the Rebel Community is all about – helping each other learn, grow, and celebrate the wins, big and small.
🌸 A Day of All the Things I Love
What does a perfect day look like when you're celebrating two years of freedom? For this incredible soul, it looked like this:
- 🧩 Working on a puzzle – patience, focus, and small victories
- 🌱 Watering the garden – nurturing life and growth
- 🐶 Playing with the puppy – pure, unconditional joy
- 🐔 Spoiling the kids and chickens with treats – sharing love with all creatures
- 🥫 Canning rhubarb BBQ sauce – preserving the harvest and building confidence
💡 Pro tip: Every single one of these activities is a form of self-care. When you're in recovery, filling your days with things you love is one of the most powerful things you can do.
🥫 Rhubarb BBQ Sauce – A Canning Success Story
This rhubarb BBQ sauce is the perfect balance of sweet, tangy, and smoky – with a beautiful ruby-red color that comes from the rhubarb itself. And the best part? It's a beginner-friendly water bath canning recipe that builds confidence.
Ingredients:
- 🍓 6 cups rhubarb – chopped (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 🧅 1 cup onion – finely chopped
- 🧄 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 🍅 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 🍅 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 🍎 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 🍬 1 cup brown sugar – packed
- 🍯 ¼ cup molasses
- 🌶️ 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 🌶️ 1 tsp chili powder
- 🧂 1 tsp salt
- 🌿 1 tsp black pepper
- 🌶️ ½ tsp cayenne pepper – optional, for heat
Instructions:
- Combine everything: In a large stockpot, combine rhubarb, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, and all spices.
- Simmer: Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1-1.5 hours, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the rhubarb has broken down completely.
- Blend (optional): For a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender in batches.
- Prepare jars: Sterilize jars and keep them hot.
- Fill jars: Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Process: Process jars in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes (adjust for altitude).
- Cool and check seals: Let cool for 12-24 hours. Check seals – lids should not flex when pressed.
💡 Pro tip: "I waited until morning to make sure they were indeed sealed (I'm still a newbie)." This is the mark of a careful canner – patience is a virtue!
🥫 Canning Tips for Beginners
If you're new to canning (or just a little nervous), here are the tips that helped this canner succeed:
- 📖 Use a trusted recipe: Don't experiment with acidity – follow tested recipes
- 🧼 Start with clean jars: Sterilize jars and keep them hot until filling
- 📏 Measure headspace: ½ inch for water bath canning
- 🧹 Wipe rims clean: Even a tiny bit of sauce can prevent a seal
- 🔄 Fingertip-tight lids: Don't over-tighten – air needs to escape during processing
- ⏱️ Adjust for altitude: Processing times change based on elevation
- ⏰ Wait to check seals: Let jars cool completely (12-24 hours) before testing
💡 Pro tip: "No siphoning, and no breaking!" – This means proper headspace, proper processing, and a gentle pressure drop. Well done!
🍓 Why Rhubarb BBQ Sauce?
- 🍓 Tangy flavor: Rhubarb adds a natural tartness that balances the sweetness of BBQ sauce
- 🎨 Beautiful color: Rhubarb gives the sauce a gorgeous ruby-red hue
- 🌿 Seasonal preservation: A great way to use up frozen rhubarb from the garden
- 🔥 Versatile: Use it on chicken, pork, ribs, or as a dipping sauce
- 🏆 Unique gift: A jar of homemade rhubarb BBQ sauce is a conversation starter
🤘🏽 The Rebel Community
"I share this to just say thank you to the whole Rebel Community. I really am starting to live my best life and you guys have all been so helpful and inspiring." 🤘🏽
This is what community looks like. A group of people – maybe canners, maybe homesteaders, maybe just fellow travelers on the journey – coming together to share knowledge, encouragement, and celebration. Whether it's helping a newbie learn the ropes, sharing a recipe, or simply cheering someone on, community makes all the difference.
💬 The impact of a supportive group: "I had been waiting to do a big batch of bbq with it but was admittedly a little scared of messing it all up." But with the encouragement of the community, she went for it – and succeeded. That's the power of "you can do this."
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
❓ Can I use frozen rhubarb for this recipe?
Yes – thaw and drain well before using. Frozen rhubarb works perfectly.
❓ Why did my jars seal overnight?
Jars can take up to 24 hours to seal completely. Waiting until morning is the right move.
❓ What if a jar doesn't seal?
Refrigerate and use within 2 weeks, or reprocess with a new lid.
❓ Can I add more heat to this sauce?
Yes – add extra cayenne, red pepper flakes, or even a chopped jalapeño.
❓ How long does canned BBQ sauce last?
Properly sealed, it lasts up to 1 year in a cool, dark place.
❓ What's siphoning?
When liquid escapes from jars during processing – it's usually caused by too much headspace or rapid pressure changes.
❓ Can I use this recipe for pressure canning?
This recipe is designed for water bath canning. Do not pressure can unless you adjust for meat or other low-acid ingredients.
❓ What's the best way to serve rhubarb BBQ sauce?
On grilled chicken, pulled pork, ribs, or as a dipping sauce for fries and onion rings.
❓ Can I freeze this sauce instead of canning?
Yes – freeze in freezer-safe containers for up to 6 months.
❓ How do I build confidence with pressure canning?
Start with water bath canning, read the manual, watch videos, and start with a simple recipe like stock or beans.
📄 Printable Recipe Card
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║ RHUBARB BBQ SAUCE – A CANNING VICTORY ║
║ Sweet, Tangy & Perfect for Grilling ║
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
YIELD: ~5-6 half-pint jars | TIME: 2 hours + processing
INGREDIENTS:
- 6 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot.
2. Simmer 1-1.5 hours until thickened.
3. Blend if desired (immersion blender works well).
4. Ladle into hot jars (½" headspace).
5. Process 15 minutes in water bath.
6. Cool 12-24 hours. Check seals.
STORAGE: Up to 1 year (cool, dark place).
"All jars sealed, no siphoning, and no breaking!" 🥫✨
© CanningRebels — Rhubarb BBQ Sauce | A Canning Victory Story
Comments