🐕 96 Pints of Homemade Dog Food
Pressure Canned Chicken, Rice & Veggies for My Great Pyrenees
📌 In This Article
🐕 The Dog Food Story
"When I finish my last canner I will have 96 pints. What have I canned. Hint: I open one daily." 🐕✨
This is the story of 96 pints of homemade dog food, made with love for a 125-pound Great Pyrenees. This recipe was born from a desire to feed my dog the healthiest food possible while saving money and knowing exactly what goes into every meal [citation:3][citation:5].
I cook and debone 40 lbs of chicken quarters, add rice, vegetables, and sweet potatoes, then pressure can it all into pint jars. One jar a day, plus collagen and salmon oil at feeding time, keeps my girl happy and healthy [citation:8].
💬 Why homemade? "I have a 125 lbs. Great Pyrenees, she eats one jar a day plus her snacks and dog bones. I offer kibbles which she is not fond of in case she gets hungry."
⚠️ Important Safety Information
⚠️ Read This Before You Start
This is a "rebel canning" recipe and is not USDA-approved for canning dog food [citation:8]. However, many home canners have successfully used similar methods for years.
Key Safety Rules:
- Use a pressure canner – water bath is NOT safe for meat [citation:3][citation:5]
- Cook meat thoroughly before canning – all ingredients should be fully cooked [citation:2]
- Leave 1 inch headspace – critical for proper sealing [citation:8]
- Process for 75 minutes (pints) – following meat canning guidelines [citation:5][citation:8]
- Don't add thickeners or dairy – add supplements at feeding time [citation:4]
Always inspect jars before feeding – bulging lids, off odors, or discoloration mean discard immediately.
This recipe is not a complete diet – supplement with kibble and add collagen/salmon oil at feeding time [citation:8].
📦 Ingredients – For 96 Pints
Large Batch Recipe
- 🐔 40 lbs chicken quarters – cooked and deboned [citation:2][citation:3]
- 🍚 16 cups uncooked rice – white or brown
- 🥕 6 lbs mixed vegetables – peas, carrots, green beans, corn [citation:3][citation:8]
- 🍠 6 quarts sweet potatoes – peeled and diced [citation:3][citation:8]
- 🧂 Seasonings – ⅛ tsp turmeric, black pepper, salt per jar
- 🥫 Chicken broth – from cooking the chicken
Per Jar – For Feeding
- 🧴 Collagen – added at feeding time [citation:4]
- 🐟 Salmon oil – added at feeding time
💡 Pro tip: "If your dog need to gain weight you can feed more. I'm trying to watch my girls weight."
📝 Step-by-Step Instructions
Step 1 – Cook the Chicken
- Cook 40 lbs of chicken quarters until fully cooked [citation:2].
- Save the broth – you'll use it for the rice and canning liquid.
- Debone all the chicken, removing skin and excess fat [citation:3][citation:5].
- Shred or chop the meat into bite-sized pieces.
💡 Pro tip: "The easiest way to debone the chicken is when it is baked or grilled" [citation:3].
Step 2 – Cook the Rice and Vegetables
- In the chicken broth, cook 16 cups uncooked rice until done.
- Add 6 lbs mixed vegetables and 6 quarts diced sweet potatoes.
- Cook until vegetables are tender but not mushy.
Step 3 – Combine and Prep
- In a large pot, combine the shredded chicken with the rice and vegetable mixture.
- Mix thoroughly to distribute ingredients evenly.
Step 4 – Fill the Jars
- Pack the mixture into pint jars, leaving 1 inch headspace [citation:8].
- Add ⅛ tsp turmeric, black pepper, and salt to each jar.
- Top with broth if needed to cover the mixture.
- Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic utensil [citation:8].
- Wipe rims clean, apply lids (fingertip-tight).
⚠️ Important: "The first time I made the food I mixed everything together in a stockpot but have since found it simpler to raw pack the veggies as they do cook in the canner" [citation:3].
Step 5 – Pressure Can
- Place jars in the pressure canner with 2-3 inches of hot water [citation:5].
- Process at 10-11 psi for 75 minutes (pints) [citation:3][citation:8].
- Let pressure drop naturally.
- Cool 12-24 hours. Check seals [citation:8].
Step 6 – Store and Feed
- Store sealed jars in a cool, dark place.
- At feeding time, add collagen and salmon oil [citation:4].
- Feed one pint per day for a 125 lb dog, adjusting as needed.
💡 Pro tip: "I offer kibbles which she is not fond of in case she gets hungry. I'm trying to watch my girls weight."
🍽️ Feeding Guide
For a 125 lb Great Pyrenees
- 🥫 1 pint per day – one jar daily [citation:8]
- 🧴 Add collagen – for joint health [citation:4]
- 🐟 Add salmon oil – for coat and joint health
- 🦴 Offer kibble – as a supplement if needed [citation:8]
For Weight Management
- ⚖️ Maintain weight: One jar per day
- 📈 Gain weight: Feed more than one jar per day
- 📉 Lose weight: Reduce portion or supplement with low-calorie vegetables
💡 Pro tip: "If your dog need to gain weight you can feed more. I'm trying to watch my girls weight."
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
❓ Is this a complete diet?
No – this is a balanced meal but should be supplemented with kibble and additives like collagen and salmon oil [citation:8].
❓ Can I water bath can this?
No – meat is low-acid and MUST be pressure canned [citation:3][citation:5].
❓ Why 75 minutes for pints?
This follows the processing time for canned meat, ensuring it's safely preserved [citation:5][citation:8].
❓ How long does canned dog food last?
18 months in a cool, dark pantry.
❓ Can I use different meat?
Yes – turkey, beef, or venison can be substituted [citation:5][citation:8].
❓ What if my jars don't seal?
Refrigerate unsealed jars and use within 3-4 days [citation:8].
❓ Can I add supplements before canning?
No – many supplements like chondroitin and MSM are not heat-stable [citation:4].
❓ What are signs of spoilage?
Bulging lids, off odors, cloudy liquid, or discoloration – discard immediately.
❓ Can I use this for small dogs?
Yes – adjust portion sizes accordingly.
❓ Why add turmeric?
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory for joint health.
📄 Printable Recipe Card
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║ HOMEMADE DOG FOOD – 96 PINTS ║
║ Pressure Canned Chicken, Rice & Veggies ║
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
YIELD: 96 pints | PROCESS: 75 minutes
INGREDIENTS:
- 40 lbs chicken quarters (cooked, deboned)
- 16 cups uncooked rice
- 6 lbs mixed vegetables
- 6 quarts sweet potatoes (diced)
- Chicken broth (from cooking)
- Per jar: ⅛ tsp turmeric, black pepper, salt
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Cook chicken, debone, and shred. Save broth.
2. Cook rice and vegetables in broth until tender.
3. Combine chicken with rice and vegetable mixture.
4. Fill pint jars, leaving 1" headspace.
5. Add turmeric, pepper, and salt to each jar.
6. Top with broth if needed. Remove air bubbles.
7. Wipe rims, apply lids (fingertip-tight).
8. Pressure can at 10-11 psi for 75 minutes.
9. Let pressure drop naturally. Cool 12-24 hours.
10. Check seals. Store in cool, dark place.
FEEDING:
- 1 jar per day for 125 lb dog
- Add collagen and salmon oil at feeding time
- Offer kibble as supplement
STORAGE: 18 months (cool, dark place).
"When I finish my last canner I will have 96 pints. What have I canned. Hint: I open one daily." 🐕✨
© CanningRebels — 96 Pints of Homemade Dog Food
Comments