🌿 Comfrey Lavender Salve
A Healing Balm for Scleroderma & Pain Relief
🌿 Comfrey Lavender salve — healing, soothing, and made with love!
📌 In This Article
🌿 My Comfrey Lavender Salve Story
"Thanks for the add! This is a Comfrey Lavender salve I made for my granddaughters Scleroderma." 🌿✨
When my granddaughter was diagnosed with Scleroderma, I knew I had to find natural ways to help soothe her pain and discomfort. After researching the powerful healing properties of comfrey, I decided to make a Comfrey Lavender salve specifically for her.
I used fresh Comfrey leaves from my garden and added a cup of lavender to create a soothing, healing balm. The lavender adds a calming aroma and additional skin-soothing properties that complement the comfrey perfectly.
Now that spring is here, I'm planning to forage even more healing herbs. This salve has been a labor of love, and I'm so grateful for the kind words from this community.
💬 The inspiration: "I used fresh Comfrey leaves and added a cup of lavender too." — Made with love for a special granddaughter. 💜
📦 Ingredients
- 🌿 Fresh Comfrey leaves (enough to fill a pint jar about ⅔ full)
- 🌸 1 cup dried lavender flowers
- 🫒 1½ cups olive oil (or carrier oil of choice)
- 🧈 1 oz beeswax pellets (about 2 tablespoons)
📝 Step-by-Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare the Herbs
Harvest fresh Comfrey leaves from a clean, pesticide-free area. Wash and dry them thoroughly. If using fresh herbs, you'll need to use the warm infusion method to prevent spoilage.
Step 2: Fill the Jar
Fill a pint mason jar about ⅔ full with fresh Comfrey leaves. Add 1 cup of dried lavender flowers to the jar.
Step 3: Infuse the Oil
Cover the herbs with olive oil, leaving about an inch of headspace. For fresh herbs, use the warm infusion method: leave the jar lid loose and keep it at 110-120°F for 24-48 hours. A dehydrator set to 115°F or an Instant Pot on yogurt mode works best.
Step 4: Strain the Oil
Strain the infused oil through a cheesecloth-lined fine mesh strainer into a clean, heat-proof container. Squeeze the cheesecloth gently to release all the oil.
Step 5: Add Beeswax
Return the strained oil to a small saucepan or double boiler. Add 1 oz of beeswax (about 2 tablespoons). Warm gently over low heat, stirring constantly, until the beeswax has melted completely.
Step 6: Pour and Set
Pour the finished salve into 2 oz tins or small glass jars. Let cool undisturbed for at least 30 minutes before putting lids on or using.
💡 Pro Tip: "I used fresh Comfrey leaves and added a cup of lavender too." — Lavender adds soothing properties and a beautiful aroma!
🌱 Spring Foraging Plans
"Now that spring is here I plan on foraging Stinging Nettles, Mugwort, Queen Anne's Lace, Mullein, Cleavers, Heal all, Turkey Tail, Amanita and what ever else I can find. Looking for ways to use these for pain and arthritis relief."
🌿 Herbs to Forage:
- Stinging Nettles: Anti-inflammatory, great for arthritis and joint pain.
- Mugwort: Traditional remedy for pain and circulation.
- Queen Anne's Lace: Natural anti-inflammatory.
- Mullein: Soothing for skin and respiratory conditions.
- Cleavers: Lymphatic support and anti-inflammatory.
- Heal All (Prunella vulgaris): Powerful healing properties.
- Turkey Tail: Immune-supporting mushroom.
- Amanita: Traditional topical pain relief (use with caution).
"Looking for ways to use these for pain and arthritis relief." — The journey of natural healing continues! 🌿
💚 Why Comfrey Salve Works
- Reduces Inflammation: Comfrey has been shown to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Fast-Acting: Studies show pain relief can be felt within about an hour of application.
- Promotes Healing: Contains allantoin, which stimulates the growth of new skin cells.
- Works for Arthritis: Studies show comfrey salves reduce pain and increase mobility in patients with osteoarthritis.
⚠️ Important Safety Notes
- For external use only. Never ingest comfrey in any form.
- Limit use: No more than 10 consecutive days, and no more than 4-6 weeks per year.
- Patch test first: A small percentage of people develop skin reactions.
- Not for pregnancy or nursing: Comfrey is not considered safe during pregnancy or while nursing.
- Always properly identify plants before foraging.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
❓ Can I use dried comfrey instead of fresh?
Yes! Dried comfrey is the default for salve making. Use enough to fill a pint jar about ⅔ full.
❓ How long does comfrey salve last?
Stored in a cool, dark place, it keeps for 1-2 years.
❓ Can I add other herbs to this salve?
Absolutely! Many people add calendula for skin-soothing or dandelion for a gardener's balm.
❓ Can I use this salve on open wounds?
Comfrey salve should not be used on deep or infected wounds. It's best for bruises, strains, and arthritis pain.
❓ Why did my salve separate?
This usually means the beeswax and oil weren't fully combined, or moisture got in. Gently rewarm and stir until uniform.
❓ Can I use coconut oil instead of olive oil?
Yes! Coconut oil works well, but use slightly less beeswax (about ¾ oz per cup of oil).
📄 Printable Recipe Card
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║ COMFREY LAVENDER SALVE ║
║ A Healing Balm for Pain & Relief ║
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
YIELD: 4 x 2oz tins | TIME: 4-6 weeks infusion
INGREDIENTS:
- Fresh Comfrey leaves (fill jar ⅔ full)
- 1 cup dried lavender flowers
- 1½ cups olive oil
- 1 oz beeswax (about 2 tbsp)
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Fill jar ⅔ full with fresh comfrey leaves.
2. Add 1 cup dried lavender.
3. Cover with oil. Leave lid loose.
4. Warm infuse at 110-120°F for 24-48 hours.
5. Strain through cheesecloth.
6. Add beeswax and heat until melted.
7. Pour into tins. Let set.
"Made for my granddaughters Scleroderma." 💜🌿
🌿 You May Also Like
© CanningRebels — Comfrey Lavender Salve | A Healing Balm for Pain Relief
Comments