Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

🔍 Search Recipes
Image

OMG!! Canned Green Tomatoes – The Best Fried Green Tomatoes Ever!

OMG!! Canned Green Tomatoes – The Best Fried Green Tomatoes Ever!

🍅 OMG!!! Canned Green Tomatoes

The Best Fried Green Tomatoes Ever – Straight from a Jar!

"Holy hell!!! They are seriously perfect. I devoured them!!!" 🍅✨
🍅 7-8 pint jars
⏱️ 15 min processing
Tangy · Crispy · Addictive
🥫 Water Bath Canned

🍅 The Fried Green Tomato Revelation

"OMG!!! Let me go ahead and tell you about the fried green tomatoes!! I canned them last year and decided to pull them out and try them to see if I'm going to do it again this year. Holy hell!!! They are seriously perfect." 🍅✨

I'll be honest – I was skeptical. Could canned green tomatoes really fry up as good as fresh ones? I canned them last year, popped open a jar, coated them in seasoned flour, and fried them up. And let me tell you... they were absolutely perfect. The tangy brine gives them a zesty punch that fresh tomatoes just don't have.

I'm a basic bitch when it comes to fried green tomatoes – just seasoned flour, hot oil, and devour. No fancy cornmeal, no buttermilk soak. And they were seriously the best I've ever had.

💬 The verdict: "Holy hell!!! They are seriously perfect. I'm a basic bitch, so I just coated in seasoned flour. I devoured them!!!"

📦 Ingredients – Makes 7-8 Pint Jars

From My Mother-in-Law's Recipe

  • 🍅 Green tomatoes – enough to fill 7-8 pint jars
  • 💧 1 gallon water
  • 🍎 ½ cup vinegar – white or apple cider
  • 🧂 2 tablespoons salt – pickling or kosher

For Frying (The Basic Bitch Method)

  • 🌾 All-purpose flour
  • 🧂 Seasoned salt – Lawry's or your favorite
  • 🧈 Oil for frying – vegetable, canola, or peanut

💡 Pro tip: "The vinegar brine is what gives these canned green tomatoes their signature tangy flavor!"

📝 Step-by-Step Canning Instructions

Step 1 – Prepare the Tomatoes

  • Wash the green tomatoes thoroughly.
  • Slice them into rounds or wedges – whatever you prefer.
  • Remove any blemishes or bruised spots.

💡 Pro tip: "Slice them to your desired thickness – just remember they'll soften slightly during canning."

Step 2 – Make the Brine

  • In a large pot, combine 1 gallon of water, ½ cup vinegar, and 2 tablespoons salt.
  • Stir well until the salt is completely dissolved.
  • Bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Step 3 – Pack the Jars

  • Pack the green tomato slices tightly into wide-mouth pint jars.
  • Wide-mouth jars are best – they make it easier to remove the tomatoes later.
  • Leave ½ inch headspace at the top.

⚠️ Important: "Do not overpack – the tomatoes need room to expand during processing."

Step 4 – Fill with Brine

  • Carefully pour the hot brine over the tomatoes.
  • Make sure the tomatoes are completely covered.
  • Leave ½ inch headspace.
  • Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic utensil.

Step 5 – Seal and Process

  • Wipe rims clean with a damp cloth.
  • Apply lids and tighten to fingertip-tight.
  • Place jars in a water bath canner, fully submerged.
  • Bring to a rolling boil and process for 15 minutes.
  • Remove jars and cool on a towel-lined counter for 12-24 hours.
  • Check seals – lids should be concave and not flex when pressed.

💡 Pro tip: "The processing time may vary depending on your altitude – adjust accordingly."

🍳 How to Fry Them to Perfection

Step 1 – Open and Rinse

  • Open a jar of canned green tomatoes.
  • Rinse them well in a colander to remove excess brine.
  • Pat dry with paper towels.

⚠️ Important: "Rinsing removes excess salt – don't skip this step!"

Step 2 – Coat in Flour

  • In a shallow dish, combine flour and seasoned salt.
  • Dredge each tomato slice in the flour mixture, pressing to coat.
  • Shake off excess flour.

💡 Pro tip: "I'm a basic bitch, so I just coated in seasoned flour. No fancy cornmeal needed!"

Step 3 – Fry

  • Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Add the coated tomato slices in a single layer.
  • Fry until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side.
  • Drain on paper towels.

Step 4 – Devour!

  • Serve immediately while hot and crispy.
  • Enjoy plain, with ranch dressing, or with a spicy remoulade.

💡 Pro Tips for Perfect Canned Green Tomatoes

  • 🍅 Use firm green tomatoes: Soft or overripe tomatoes will turn to mush during canning.
  • 🧂 Don't skip the salt soak: Some recipes call for a salt soak before canning to keep them crisp.
  • 🥫 Use wide-mouth jars: They make it much easier to get the tomatoes out for frying.
  • 🔥 Hot oil is key: Make sure your oil is hot enough – 350°F is perfect.
  • 🍳 Don't overcrowd the pan: Fry in batches to keep them crispy.
  • 🌿 Season the flour well: The flour is where all the flavor comes from – don't be shy!

❓ Frequently Asked Questions

❓ Can I use this recipe for other types of tomatoes?
This recipe is specifically for green tomatoes. Ripe tomatoes will fall apart during processing.

❓ How long do canned green tomatoes last?
When properly sealed and stored, they can last up to a year in a cool, dark place.

❓ Can I pressure can green tomatoes?
Yes, but water bath canning is the traditional method for this recipe. If using a pressure canner, process at 10 psi for 15 minutes.

❓ Why do I need to rinse them before frying?
The brine is salty – rinsing removes excess salt and prevents them from being too salty.

❓ Can I use cornmeal instead of flour?
Yes – many people prefer cornmeal for extra crunch. I'm just a basic bitch who loves flour!

❓ Do I need to soak the tomatoes before canning?
Some recipes call for a salt soak (2 hours in salt water) to keep them crisp. This recipe skips that step.

❓ Can I add spices to the brine?
Absolutely – garlic, peppercorns, or red pepper flakes would be great additions.

❓ What if my jars don't seal?
Refrigerate unsealed jars and use within a few weeks.

❓ Can I use this recipe for fried green tomatoes from fresh tomatoes?
Yes – the frying method works for fresh tomatoes too, just slice and fry without brining.

❓ What's the best oil for frying?
Vegetable, canola, or peanut oil – they have high smoke points and neutral flavor.

📄 Printable Recipe Card

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║              CANNED GREEN TOMATOES                                   ║
║         The Best Fried Green Tomatoes Ever – Straight from a Jar!    ║
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

YIELD: 7-8 pint jars | PROCESS: 15 min water bath

INGREDIENTS FOR CANNING:
- Green tomatoes (enough for 7-8 pint jars)
- 1 gallon water
- ½ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt

FOR FRYING:
- All-purpose flour
- Seasoned salt (Lawry's or your favorite)
- Oil for frying

CANNING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Slice green tomatoes into rounds or wedges.
2. In a large pot, combine water, vinegar, and salt. Bring to a simmer.
3. Pack tomato slices tightly into wide-mouth pint jars.
4. Pour hot brine over tomatoes, leaving ½" headspace.
5. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims, apply lids.
6. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
7. Cool 12-24 hours. Check seals.

FRYING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Open a jar and rinse tomatoes in a colander. Pat dry.
2. Coat in seasoned flour.
3. Fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
4. Devour immediately!

STORAGE: Up to 1 year (cool, dark place).

"Holy hell!!! They are seriously perfect. I devoured them!!!" 🍅✨
        
🍅 Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. Always follow safe canning guidelines. Processing times may vary based on altitude.

© CanningRebels — Canned Green Tomatoes | The Best Fried Green Tomatoes Ever

Comments