🥒 Grandma's Zucchini Relish
A Sweet & Sour Family Tradition – From the Ball Blue Book
📌 In This Article
🥒 The Family Relish Story
"Grew up making this relish with my Grandma. I have to supply it to my sisters now because I'm the only one who can make it and can it!" 🥒✨
This zucchini relish is a family treasure that came straight from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. Growing up, I spent countless hours in Grandma's kitchen chopping vegetables for this sweet and sour relish. She'd clamp that old meat grinder to the counter, and we'd take turns feeding in the zucchini, onions, and peppers.
Now I'm the keeper of the recipe. I've made 16 pints this week alone, and my sisters keep calling for more. There's something special about carrying on a family tradition – especially one that tastes this good.
💬 A family legacy: "I have to supply it to my sisters now because I'm the only one who can make it and can it!"
📦 Ingredients – Makes 4 Half-Pints
From the Ball Blue Book
- 🥒 2 cups chopped zucchini – about 3 medium
- 🧅 1 cup chopped onion – about 1 medium
- 🫑 ½ cup chopped sweet green pepper – about 1 small
- 🫑 ½ cup chopped sweet red pepper – about 1 small
- 🧂 2 tablespoons salt
- 🍬 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 🌿 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 🌿 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 🍎 1 cup cider vinegar
For a Larger Batch
- 📈 8x this recipe – makes 16 pints like the batch in this post!
💡 Pro tip: "In place of zucchini I have used green tomatoes, yellow squash, and/or cucumbers. Great way to use up whatever you have."
📝 Step-by-Step Instructions
Step 1 – Prep the Vegetables
- Chop the zucchini, onion, green pepper, and red pepper.
- If using a food processor: seed everything, cut into chunks, and pulse until desired size.
- If using a meat grinder: clamp it to the counter and grind the vegetables.
💡 Pro tip: "Growing up we used a meat grinder clamped on the counter but I've grown to love using the processor for it!"
Step 2 – Salt and Soak
- Combine the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Cover with cold water.
- Let stand for 2 hours.
⚠️ Important: "This step draws out excess moisture from the vegetables, ensuring a crisp relish."
Step 3 – Rinse and Drain
- Drain the vegetables thoroughly.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Drain again – be thorough to remove excess salt.
Step 4 – Make the Brine
- In a large saucepan, combine:
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Step 5 – Cook the Relish
- Add the drained vegetables to the boiling brine.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
💡 Pro tip: "This is a sweet and sour relish, if you want to spice it up just replace some of the sweet peppers with hot peppers of your choice or add red pepper flakes to the mix."
Step 6 – Jar and Process
- Pack hot relish into hot, sterilized jars.
- Leave ¼-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic spatula.
- Wipe rims clean with a damp cloth.
- Apply lids and tighten to fingertip-tight.
- Process in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (adjust for altitude).
- Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours.
- Check seals – lids should be concave and not flex when pressed.
⚠️ Critical: "If you add hot peppers or flakes DO NOT put your face over the hot mixture ! 🥵🥵🥵"
🥒 Recipe Variations
Use What You Have
- 🍅 Green tomatoes – a classic substitute for zucchini
- 🟡 Yellow squash – mild flavor, works beautifully
- 🥒 Cucumbers – the traditional relish base
- 🌶️ Spicy version – replace sweet peppers with hot peppers or add red pepper flakes
Making a Larger Batch
- This recipe can be easily multiplied.
- The batch in this post was 8x the recipe – 16 pints!
- Simply multiply all ingredients by your desired factor.
- Use a large enough pot to cook the relish properly.
💡 Pro tip: "Great way to use up whatever you have. The batch I made in this post was 8x this recipe!"
💡 Pro Tips for Perfect Relish
- 🔪 Use a food processor: It's the easiest way to chop veggies. Seed everything, cut into chunks, and pulse.
- 🔄 Meat grinder works too: The old-fashioned way Grandma used – clamp it to the counter and grind away.
- 🧂 Don't skip the salt soak: It draws out moisture for a crisp relish.
- 🌶️ Adjust the heat: Replace sweet peppers with hot ones or add red pepper flakes.
- 🌬️ Watch the steam: If using hot peppers, don't put your face over the boiling mixture.
- 📈 Make it your own: Mix and match zucchini, squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
❓ Can I use yellow squash instead of zucchini?
Yes – yellow squash works beautifully as a substitute.
❓ How long does this relish last?
Properly sealed jars last up to 18 months in a cool, dark pantry.
❓ Can I use a food processor?
Yes – it's the easiest way! Just pulse until you get the desired size.
❓ What if I want it spicier?
Replace some sweet peppers with hot peppers or add red pepper flakes – but don't breathe the steam!
❓ Can I use green tomatoes?
Absolutely – green tomatoes are a classic substitute for zucchini in this recipe.
❓ Why do I need to soak in salt water?
It draws out excess moisture, which makes the relish crisp and prevents it from being watery.
❓ Can I double this recipe?
Yes – the batch in this post was 8x the recipe, making 16 pints.
❓ What should I serve this relish with?
It's great on hot dogs, burgers, sandwiches, or as a condiment with meats.
❓ Is this relish sweet or savory?
It's a sweet and sour relish – the sugar and vinegar balance perfectly.
❓ Can I use cider vinegar substitute?
White vinegar works, but cider vinegar adds a fruitier flavor.
📄 Printable Recipe Card
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║ GRANDMA'S ZUCCHINI RELISH ║
║ A Sweet & Sour Family Tradition – From the Ball Blue Book ║
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
YIELD: 4 half-pints | TIME: 10 min processing
INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- ½ cup chopped sweet green pepper (about 1 small)
- ½ cup chopped sweet red pepper (about 1 small)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 cup cider vinegar
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Combine zucchini, onion, peppers. Sprinkle with salt, cover with cold water.
2. Let stand 2 hours. Drain, rinse, and drain thoroughly.
3. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, and vinegar.
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Add vegetables. Simmer 10 minutes.
6. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving ¼" headspace.
7. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims, apply lids.
8. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
VARIATIONS:
- Substitute zucchini with green tomatoes, yellow squash, or cucumbers
- Add hot peppers or red pepper flakes for a spicy version
STORAGE: 18 months (cool, dark place).
"Grew up making this relish with my Grandma. I have to supply it to my sisters now because I'm the only one who can make it and can it!" 🥒✨
⚠️ If adding hot peppers, DO NOT put your face over the hot mixture! 🥵
© CanningRebels — Grandma's Zucchini Relish | A Sweet & Sour Family Tradition
Comments